Sunday, September 17, 2006

7 deadly sins…

Envy is an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another’s superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it.”[1] At the core of envy seems to be an upward social comparison, that threatens a person's self-esteem: another person has something that the envier considers to be important to have. If the other person is perceived to be similar as the envier, the aroused envy will be particularly intense, because it signals to the envier that it just as well could have been him or her who had the desired object.
Jealousy typically refers to the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that occur when a person believes a valued relationship is being threatened by a rival. The word jealousy stems from the French jalousie, formed from jaloux (jealous), and further from Low Latin zelosus (full of zeal), and from the Greek word for "ardour, zeal" (with a
root connoting "to boil, ferment"; or "yeast").

As with many of relationship topics, a certain amount of attention to what we mean by particular words is helpful and often necessary when discussing jealousy. It is important to distinguish jealousy from envy. To oversimplify, jealousy is angry, envy is wistful. Jealousy is destructive, envy rarely is.


One same evil in 2 different casing.


Envy is by definition something a slightly different matter from jealousy. But somehow in daily applications, these two may be interspersed with other feelings one may have. And well, sadly enough to say, I believe these two are the same. And one in the 7 deadly sins too, I might add. You know the 7 deadly sins, right? (Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride).

A friend of mine, been two-timed, just broke up with her boyfriend. While the boyfriend seemingly found no problem whatsoever in beginning his own quest in life, quickly finding his own woman to look after for the rest of their lives together; this friend of mine had to be involved with some nasty hung-over period, I say.

However, she has decided to end that grieving period, and find herself a new man. Someone totally and completely the opposite of the ex boyfriend. They quickly became a thing. And before you know it, they’re a couple. Now, it’s the only talk of the town.

Now just call me judgmental, or even worse yet, I’m the bitch who wouldn’t be happy for her own friend, but I don’t think she’d be happy. Now that’s a quick judgment I’d quickly pass on to others.

Mind you, I’ve passed it on to her as well, when she said, her intentions with him were “Oh, just to have some fun…” But I doubt that it’s the only reason why she fully unleashed her inhibitions (I never thought I’d say this, but I’m gonna say it any way). She said this new love of hers is pure. “He’s understanding and caring, and attentive.” Love, in this case, is highly overrated. I think Lust is more like it. What I can’t seem to comprehend is that why does anyone still mistaken Lust for Love? Is it because Love is becoming a far more generic term these days? Or is it becoming a new key to open anyone up, a fast solution to lust, something that does not have anything to do with what’s going on in your head but has absolutely everything to do with what’s going on down there.

I think now the fact of the matter remains, she might still be in love with this ex of hers. But then, to the more trained eyes, we probably can infer that it’s not love at all. She’s been hurt. Bad. I’m not sure if it’s jealousy, but I think it’s probably revenge, executed in full rage. She thinks she can get back at him by going out with someone else. Someone new. Well, I do hope that it’s more than what meets the eye. I hope this is not her wrath.

She’s still too proud to take anyone else’s opinions or advise, again, all in the name of love (or lust).

I don’t know if Envy or Jealousy is remotely related to her case. But I’m finding a hard time to think otherwise.

I just hope she’s not going to make a mistake. I hope she will be smart enough to give herself the respect she deserves.

... or does she???...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home